Tuesday, August 13, 2013

New Laptop - Lenovo G400s without Touchscreen

My Compaq V3252AU running on Gentoo has finally croaked on 3rd of August 2013 after 6 years, one month and 3 weeks. A record for a Compaq laptop, huh? The salesman at the computer shop was actually astounded that the laptop lasted 6 years. 

I bought a new laptop - a Lenovo G400s without touchscreen. The specs are as followed:

Colour red
Windows 8 Single Core Language preinstalled 
Intel® Core™ i5-3230M (2.60Ghz, 3MB L3 Cache) 
14" HD WLED
1TB HDD 
Integrated Intel graphics together with Nvidia GT720M 2GB
4 GB (1x4096) RAM

This laptop came with no Windows 8 CD and no recovery disk from the laptop manufacturer. The salesman told me that:
1. Reinstalling Windows 8 afresh is impossible as you don't have the Windows 8 OEM CD.
2. Dual-booting this system with Linux is impossible.
3. Repartitioning the HD is impossible as it will mess up the recovery system.
4. If anything happens to your system, the only way to restore it is to press the Lenovo recovery key and restore the backup from there. 

Naturally I was not pleased with his answers at all. But I knew what I was looking for before I went to buy the laptop. So I went ahead with the purchase and started on my project which is to:

2. Backup the hard disk with Clonezilla.

My preferred OS is naturally Gentoo. But it is not the easiest distro to install. Therefore I choose to install Ubuntu first so that I can have a backup Linux distro to fall back on when/if I encounter any problems with the installation of Gentoo.

My following few posts will detail No. 1  to 5.

EDIT 15 March 2014: I have added links to the posts regarding the above list.

4 comments:

Admin said...

Try shrink by using windows disk management. You will get an empty partition. Install linux on that partition.

You can use dual boot with linux and windows. If you don't want linux, use recovery option and recover windows again. Then delete the partition that you used for linux.

You can merge original partition again.

Unknown said...

Hi.
I installed ubuntu on my Lenovo G400s.
Here's what I did
- Switch from UEFI to legacy
- Install ubuntu

Now, ubuntu boots properly but my Windows won't boot.

If I switch it back to UEFI, it doesn't recognize my HDD so it won't boot too.

The recovery button doesn't work either. Did I permanently messed my preloaded Windows 8?

Anonymous said...

Hello Inigo,

it is difficult to tell what went wrong. We would need to know how you set up your hard drive to install Ubuntu. Did you shrink the Windows partition? Did you install Grub? Perhaps it would be better if you were to open a thread in the Ubuntu forum and detail your problem so that the community there can help out and you can also follow up there.

Unknown said...

Hey thanks!

I did shrinked the windows partition and install Ubuntu w/ Grub2

I decided to wipe out the windows and just stick with ubuntu.

I do have an image of the windows on an external HD although I have not tried reinstalling it.