Sunday, March 02, 2014

Using bluetooth on Gentoo and Fluxbox

These are my settings for bluetooth on my Gentoo. 

1. I don't use bluetooth often and on a side note, I'm connected to the internet using wired network. Therefore I created a script called wireless.start in /etc/local.d to switch off both wireless and bluetooth at boot.

Contents of wireless.start:

#!/bin/sh

rfkill block wifi
rfkill block bluetooth

2. When I want to use bluetooth to connect to my phone or tablet in order to transfer files, I just run the following commands:

rfkill unblock bluetooth

/etc/init.d/bluetooth start

blueman-manager

3. In my previous post regarding installing bluetooth, I mentioned that I was using gnome-bluetooth and not blueman. However the latest gnome-bluetooth package on Gentoo no longer provides bluetooth-applet which I used to manage pairing and file transfer with my handheld devices. The latest release of blueman on the other hand works. So I've switched to blueman.

No comments: