Saturday, July 23, 2005

KDM background

Very obsessed with the time it takes for my computer to boot up and the number of processes that are running. Found some processes called portmap, postfix, mdnsd, hal, dbus. Googled for them. Apparently portmap is something for nfs and nis (or was it nic??), postfix is for some mail server, mdnsd is for apple rendezvous and hal and dbus are something to autodetect hardware (I think...). Anyway, fat lot of good those informations had... what in the world do they mean??? (I'm half-computer-illiterate). In the end... I just disabled all of them. So far system still boots up fine. I think I don't need hal and dbus since I mount all my usb-drives/cd/dvd/ and what-nots by myself.

Timed the boot up process. From the time I pressed 'Enter' in the Grub screen to the time kdm appeared, it took 50 seconds. And it took Fluxbox 5-6 seconds to load after I've keyed in my password. Prima!

Also disabled the kdm theme today. Although I've chosen a nice tux picture as a background for kdm login screen, it insisted on displaying an ugly green SuSE background each time. Finally figured out why.

$vim /etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/kdmrc

## Edited this line and entered false instead of true:
UseTheme=false

## In order to edit background picture without logging into KDE, edit this file:
/etc/opt/kde3/share/config/kdm/backgroundrc

All in all, a very satisfying day.


No comments: